Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

Dog Poisoning: Symptoms & What to Do

All dog owners know that sometimes our pets can get into things that they aren't supposed to, some of which are potentially poisonous. Today, our North Fort Myers vets explain dog poisoning symptoms and what you should do in an emergency.

Dog Poisoning

The most common cases of dogs being poisoned are unintentional accidents. Frequently our family pets have gotten into things they shouldn't have and loving dog owners are left panicked and wondering what to do.

In other cases, dogs have been exposed to toxic substances or even just eaten treats that just aren't suitable for dog metabolisms.

Common Items Toxic to Dogs

Your home and garden are filled with items that are potentially toxic or poisonous to your dog. That's why it's important to know where your dog is at all times and to keep potentially harmful substances beyond the reach of your curious dog's mouth.

Some of the most common household substances that are poisonous to dogs are:

  • Chocolate
  • Raisins
  • Xylitol (low-calorie sweetener)
  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner
  • Laundry detergent
  • Tylenol
  • Alcohol
  • Gasoline
  • Tobacco
  • Furniture polish
  • Drain cleaners
  • Antidepressants
  • Snail, slug, or rodent poisons
  • Fungi
  • Yew trees
  • Acorns
  • Spring bulbs

Dog Poisoning Symptoms

Depending on the type of poison, the early signs and symptoms of poisoning in dogs vary tremendously.  Here is a list of some common signs and symptoms that your dog has been poisoned:

  • Excessive bruising or bleeding
  • Nosebleeds
  • Unsteady on feet
  • Abnormal heartbeat
  • Drooling
  • Oral irritation
  • Pale gums
  • Inability to urinate
  • Agitation
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Heart problems
  • Diarrhea
  • Kidney failure

It's important to note that the symptoms of poisoning typically take several days to appear, and in some cases could even take months.

Long-Term Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

If you know that your dog has eaten something poisonous it is essential to seek emergency care right away. The fact that your dog doesn't display any symptoms right away does not mean that they are safe from the effects of the poisonous substance!

Some of the long-term symptoms of your dog coming in contact with poisonous substances include irregular heartbeat, kidney failure, liver damage, loss of blood, and neurological symptoms such as seizures.

What to Do if Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

If your dog has been poisoned it is important to stay calm and call your emergency vet immediately.

Make sure to get your dog well away from the poisonous substance. If your dog got into it once, it may head right back to it while you are on the phone. Safely move the substance well out of your dog's reach.

Do not try to administer doggie first aid. Different poisonous substances require different actions. While some cases may call for inducing vomiting, in other cases inducing vomiting could make your dog even sicker. Get your dog to the vet as quickly as possible and let your veterinary professionals administer appropriate treatment.

If you know what has poisoned your dog, bring any packaging or a sample of the poison safely to your vet's office. The packaging will help your vet to get a full understanding of the situation, and how best to treat your dog.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. Please make an appointment with your vet for an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition.

If your dog is experiencing any symptoms of poisoning, contact our North Fort Myers vets immediately to get your pup the care they need.

New Patients Welcome

We are accepting new patients at Van Roekel & Associates! Our veterinary team is dedicated to the care of North Fort Myers dogs and cats, horses, and farm animals. Reach out today to book your animal's first appointment.

Contact Us

(239) 694-7177 Contact